GLOBAL COCOA MARKET
Global demand for chocolate and cocoa based products is rising significantly due to rising incomes, urbanization, and a growing middle class.
‘Single origin’, certified and sustainably sourced chocolate has gained significant traction, as consumers are increasingly demanding chocolate that is both traceable and sustainably grown.
Inefficient farming practices, as well as crop diseases and spoilage has significantly cut yields of leading cocoa producing countries.
The majority of smallholder farmers operating in emerging markets cultivate less than 5 hectares of land, yielding approximately 500 kg/Ha annually.
Low productivity among smallholder farmers is attributed to:
- Aging plantations which are exposed to diseases
- Lack of knowledge in modern growing methods
- Lack of resources to buy pesticides and fertilizers
- Lack of access to financing
- Limited access to markets
- Urbanization of younger generation due to low agricultural earnings
The growing demand and constrained supply of cocoa presents an attractive opportunity to stabilize the global cocoa supply with a guaranteed quality, distinctiveness and expertise.